Over the past few weeks I haven’t had much opportunity to work on this project, but I have tossed around some ideas.
I have found that the project is now complicated enough that I needed to mock up a design for what I plan to do. Here’s the current design, mocked up on Fritzing :
This way I can make sure that the required (and desired) components would be available without needing to add expansion boards. For example, by doing this exercise, I have discovered that a future capability – to be able to consume AIS signals – would require additional components. Most likely in the form of a powered USB hub, but possibly as additional Arduino-based devices to save on power.